La Palma Airport (SPC)
History, Facts and Overview
(La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain)
The year of 1921 saw many discussions about building an airport on the island of La Palma. However, due to the mountainous terrain, a suitable site was difficult to locate and so it was not until the 1950s that land was chosen, close to Santa Cruz. The airfield finally opened in 1953 and began with domestic flights and international stopovers, being named Buenavista Airport. However, despite its immediate success and regular services, the airport suffered badly from adverse weather conditions, including heavy fog.
The future of La Palma's Buenavista Airport was uncertain for many years to come, until it was replaced in 1970, by a new, nearby coastal airport, sited within the area of Mazo. Soon known as La Palma Airport (SPC), the runway was extended in 1980, by reclaiming land from the sea.
Current facilities at La Palma Airport are reasonable, with a number of duty-free and regular shops. These include various books and Spanish gifts at the Kiosco Isla Bonita, toy, wine, tobacco and more at the Air Zone outlet, and local Canary Islands handicrafts and souvenirs at Tienda de Artesanía, within the lobby area.
Serving traditional Spanish Tapas, the Bar Avenida is particularly popular and also features an outdoor terrace area, situated on the land side of La Palma Airport. Also available is the El Cafelito coffee shop in the lobby, and the Cafetería Medas snack shop in pre-boarding. Further airport facilities include ATMs, an information desk, travel operators, telephones, a children's play area and a pharmacy.